10 Habits of Emotionally Resilient People
In March and April, the theme for SWC is “resilience.” Building emotional resilience is one way to help us more effectively navigate the things life throws at us.
In this article, author Amita Patel lists 10 things emotionally resilient people do when faced with challenges:
1. Wait for what's right instead of acting on what you want right now. Delaying gratification and controlling our urges allows us to choose actions that align with our best intentions.
2. Sit with discomfort. While tip #1 was about choosing the best action, this is about sitting with an emotion without taking any action.
3. Get some perspective. Sometimes things happen for you, not TO you. What seems painful now might actually be the gift you couldn't give yourself once you can see the “big picture.”
4. Practice acceptance. Acceptance is not the same as complacence. It's not about giving up and letting the stress take over — it's about experiencing your emotions and trusting that you'll bounce back.
5. Remember the power of time. The emotionally resilient remember that time heals all wounds. People who have a tendency to feel depressed often fear spiraling back into it, but feeling an emotion is not the same as getting caught in it.
6. Let go of having all the answers right now. The emotionally resilient remember that it's okay to not have it all figured out.
7. Engage in self-care. Emotionally resilient people know that self-care is a non-negotiable. It's a daily practice and commitment to self that strengthens their inner resolve.
8. Laugh it off. Sometimes things just suck, and you simply need to laugh it off. Humor goes a long way.
9. Choose to be happy above being right. Emotionally resilient people know that being right is not what will make them happy.
10. Instead of focusing on what's wrong, the resilient focus on what's right. Remember, where attention goes, energy flows. So why not cultivate more of what you want instead of what you don't? There's always something to be thankful for.
These 10 tips are well worth remembering as we face opportunities to build resilience every day!
With love and light,